Saturday, October 9, 2021

Collage Fodder

It's school holidays for me and I'm having a blast with Fodder School play. The first lessons this month are from Tiffany Sharpe - she's on Instagram. We started by learning how to create florals and leaves in watercolour, with pen work and fussy cutting.
These were on watercolour paper. 
I then wanted to try using salt effects and different kinds of paper. I wasn't sure how well the printed papers would take the watercolour, so prepared some pieces with Absorbent Ground. 
You can see it's white but not totally obscuring the marks beneath. Below is the music page with salt applied in some areas of wet watercolour. 
I found that on the Ground the watercolour blended too much for me to get the effect that I could get on the watercolour paper for the flowers, but I was very happy with the hearts and leaves and could still use a wet-in-wet technique.
It also depends a bit on the paper. I don't like the flower on the Absorbant Ground in the bottom sample pictured above (although this will totally work once I add the pen work) but the samples above were on thicker paper without any Ground added and I love how they look. These are the experiments on various book papers and sheet music
I also had a second go on watercolour paper having fun with salt effects and dropping in extra colour while still wet.
I haven't used my watercolours in this way before and am delighted with the effects I achieved with colour blending
and salt
I also love hearts so made a few of those using different papers - you can see the salt effect quite well on the watercolour hearts
I will be adding stitch and probably words to these hearts when they are used later. 
There was also a bonus lesson on doodling shapes on painted papers. I had some suitable card stock already in my stash - made so long ago that I can't remember when! This first was stenciled
I discovered that by randomly drawing the outline of my leaves, I could then follow the lines of the print below for really cool random marks
These were my doodles before fussy cutting
They look so awesome once cut apart
EDIT : It looks like Fodder School ‘21-’22 sign ups are reopened! Not sure how long this will last so run over there straight away if you want in!
If you're interested in finding out a little more about Collage fodder, I posted HERE about the free Fodder Challenge now finished.
DeeDee Catron is keeping a record of where content from the original challenge can now be accessed. She said she'll update as teachers share in different places. Find that HERE.

6 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous.Trying to figure out how to make some on fabric. Probably watercolour or derwent pencils over fabric that has been stiffened with vliesofix. Then free motion stiching outlines. Hmmm... need to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it makes me so happy to hear this. I am definitely adding stitch to attach some of these. The watercolour paper is sturdy enough. Now I'm wondering if I can glue some of the thinner images to fabric using a gel or fabric medium....and the inspiration bounces around ♥

      Delete
  2. You've made tons of these and they are wonderful! I've made a small handful so far. It really is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a wet day and created in front of a movie. I love them and have lots of other ideas now too.

      Delete
  3. These look wonderful and will be so versatile to use on all sorts of things! One for my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...