Thursday, May 16, 2019

Quilt show inspirations

Our local quilt club had its annual Tote & Gloat show on Saturday so this post contains a lot of photos of quilts that inspire me. It's a full day with a huge show and tell to start - quilts are shown on stage and then later hung for further enjoyment. 
After show and tell we can wander to look at all the gorgeous quilts - this includes the challenges and other displays from invited groups - and to shop of course. 
In the afternoon we have a speaker. This year we were very lucky to have Rachel Daisy speak to us - find her blog HERE. These are some of the quilts she brought to show. 
Ticket holders are able to show any quilts completed over the last 12 months since the previous show. I didn't have enough time to attach a hanging sleeve to this one (completed in January)
But I was able to show my quilted face (completed in December)
These were the quilts that especially took my eye this year : (click on any photo to see it larger) 
I love quilts with a special NZ flavour : above is "Tiki love" by Wilma Minnee. Won 2nd prize for the "Heart" challenge. "Hearts of Nature" by Kay McDonnell below won viewers' choice for the "Heart" challenge, including my vote : 
This next one was made by my good friend Debbie Jacques, and took first place in the "Heart" challenge : "Pieces of the heart"
Another good friend, Marion Ashley, took first place as a First Time Entry for the fabric challenge : 
If you are interested in seeing the other challenge winners from the day, please pop over HERE to our Rose City Quilters blog.
Debbie Jacques also created this amazing cow from a pattern by Laura Heine :
and another good friend, Rhonda Ellery, created this giraffe by the same designer : 
The quilts that follow were hung without labels and I'm sorry I don't know the makers. If you know and tell me, I will credit. Simple piecing made special with great colour choices : 
Simple but effective setting : 
Simply stunning : 
I have a great love of applique. Whilst talking on stage, the maker of the quilt below mentioned Laundry Basket Quilts - see their website with patterns HERE. Not sure if an actual pattern of theirs or inspired by.
And last - this one made me smile
Hope you've enjoyed all the recent quilt inspiration. Please click on the labels below for other Quilt posts. 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful show! I did enlarge the photos, and must say the third photo of a wall of quilts with medallions and houses made me pause to study them. The bold, bright one looked as if it may have included tea towel? Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes those were Rachel's quilts - she has a great eye for colour and yes there are tea towels in that end one. She made it to celebrate Australia in an exhibition in France I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...