On Tuesday, Katherine & I had a play day. We spent half the day making our own decorative tape as per this great tutorial. Our play days are great fun and we love taking pictures of the table or room that we're working in - we always combine our resources and have so much stuff! I purchased 2 different widths of micropore tape from the chemist. We laid this on freezer paper, and tried different means of colouring and decoration.On some of the tapes we tried pen or stamping as the first layer. On others we used paint first, and decoration over the top. These are Katherine's in progress. She mainly used watercolour paints and dyes for the colour. Aren't the finished tapes lovely? She also tried one which was sponging distress ink on as the colour layer, and then stamping over that with another distress ink. It gives a lovely textureThese are my first layerStep 2And all finished - I have listed the details of what I did on each below for my own reference, and perhaps your interest :-) Numbered from left to right
1. Green Koh-I-Noor waterbased dye stamped over the top with Lumiere gold paint
2. I used a green zig pen to draw stars on the top half, but these pretty much disappeared when I added the Persimmon LuminArte H2O watercolour - the resulting blend of colour was quite nice though and I stamped over with Copper VersaColor cube
3. Simple loveliness - painted with Lumiere Halo Pink Gold - in real life this is gorgeously glittery
4. Used a black Pitt pen for the dots, and stamped Purple StazOn ink on the lower half - both of these were fine beneath the layer of Sky Blue LuminArte H2O watercolour that I painted over the top
5. Purple StazOn ink again using one of my fav swirly stamps - unfortunately I was then a bit heavyhanded with the Goldens Dioxazine Purple acrylic - although it was watered down it was too strong a colour for the original layer, so I had to use a different stamp and black StazOn ink over the top. Playdays are good for lots of learning.
6. Purple StazOn ink again, this time sponged over with Peeled Paint Distress Ink Pad
7.Drew a large zigzag line with orange sakura glaze pen, then painted on a yellow watercolour. Stamped the japanese characters with Mountain Lake VersaColor cube. This didn't obscure the zigzag which I didn't like, so I re-stamped with Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink. I will obviously tear this piece so I have 2 quite different pieces of tape to use.
8. Again used a sakura glaze pen to draw some hearts and swirls at the top. This was followed by a distress reinker dropped and wet-brushed to disperse the colour. I stamped over the re-inker with Dusty Concord Distress Ink.
We both decided that we preferred the look of the stamped designs to the thinner lines of what we drew.
Have a play yourself, and come share with me :-)