Thursday, March 3, 2022

March update

We all have seasons of creativity and I'm feeling somewhat demotivated at present. There's a lot in my head and heaviness in my heart including, but not limited to, the situation in the Ukraine, the wave of Covid hitting New Zealand and the protests in Wellington. I feel disconnected from much of the art community, most of whom are in the Northern Hemisphere and my reality is so different from looking forward to Spring. I look at the productivity of others (eg. the 100 day project and output for fodder school) and feel frustrated and disappointed that's not my reality, but also recognise that I am not a full-time artist, I am not retired, I have an almost full-time job, and my art has always been my haven, a way to work through my problems, as well as a place for new learning and great joy. I'm sure that my mojo will come back. I'll continue to post as I have things to share. I post more regularly on Instagram, but I like to keep this blog going to get my thoughts onto the page for my future reference. 
This week I've decided that Anne Brooke's  #52flags project isn't for me. I'm just not motivated as I was with the tags last year and I'm not doing it if it's not a joy. These are my flags hanging on my wall in my studio but I've withdrawn from that project at present. 
Hopefully these will appear in some other form in my work in the future.
I'm still loving my monthly journal project as shared in my previous post
and I think I'll continue to respond to Effy's Journal 52 challenge, although this week's prompt is Spring (see above!). I also started a photo diary this year to help me recognise all the creative things I do - here's a peek at that from last week. 
No words, just photos of what occupied me for fun that day. It's valuable for me to see that I am very productive in the time I have available. Watching and reading, and social events all count as ways that fill me up. That last photo on the page above are my most recent art cards for happenings this month. I don't usually post before they're gifted, but feel I want to share them here. 
As you can see, Fodder creation continues to feature and I'm looking forward to our Fodder School lessons from a new teacher this month. I hope this post doesn't read too negatively, but rather stands as a snap shot of where I am right now. These are challenging times, and I hope you stay safe, inspired and make time for creativity. I know from experience that making art always makes me feel better.

3 comments:

  1. So lovely to see all your makes in one place. It doesn't seem like you mojo's gone at all! It's ok to withdraw from a project if it no longer serves you. I've done that many times. I'm a big This is Us fan too! Enjoy the month of March! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can be content with the flag display you completed so far and not be hard on yourself for setting it aside. Everything in its season. Your collage fodder is delightful and the art cards are so very appealing. I really enjoyed February Fodder School, too. So many ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. It feels good to have got my thoughts out of my head and onto the page - it helps me process and gives me perspective. Looking forward to what March has to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...