Bloggy Got Back

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Week 17 : DLP 2015

Information about the FREE Documented Life Project is HERE. Since April's theme was revealed 
I've been waiting for this week's challenge
It's no secret that I love using sprays. This post will be the 79th that has Spray as a label! I have a variety of sprays in my stash, and particularly love the vibrancy of the Dylusions sprays which I used in my Dylusions journal for the base of week 3's challenge :
In the Dylusions journal they don't bleed through to other pages and they blend beautifully.
I wanted this week's spread to honour our ANZAC100 year anniversary so that was my starting point.
I decided that I would like to have poppies on my page and have a lovely stencil by Donna Downey. If you want to have a design embossed and you don't have the right colour embossing powder, you can use Ranger Distress Ink pads and then a layer of clear embossing powder. I thought it would be cool to have embossed poppies and then sprays in the background, but I wanted to be sure this would work as a resist technique so tested it first on a manila tag :
The embossing adds lovely dimension and shine as seen in the photo below
and it was really good to do a test first because you can see on the top poppies I didn't quite sprinkle enough embossing powder so will be more careful on the actual page. Also able to experiment with adding black pen detailing. So into the actual journal :
I used distress ink pads in fired brick and peeled paintapplied through the stencil with a cosmetic sponge. I turned the stencil over sometimes so they look more random. I applied the inks a section at a time and then did the clear embossing powder and heated that before moving on to inking another section so the ink was still wet to capture the powder.
Then I sprayed dylusions inks - London Blue over lace, and Dirty Martini, Cut Grass and Fresh Lime randomly behind the poppies. 
I wanted to use the black leaf washi tape because I knew I would add some black paint to my spread. I wanted to keep it fairly simple so sponged black heavy body acrylic paint within a silhouette shape - the poppies even resisted that paint. Really happy with the effect :
Then I added 100 for the anniversary, and the written phrase. Just a few lines of black pen at the base of the poppy heads and I called it done.
So I completely ignored the art prompt this week, but used 2 kinds of ink effects and am really happy with how my spread turned out. Click on the photo to enjoy it larger or see it in the Flickr album I've created for all my Documented Life 2015 spreads HERE. You can see all my posts about this project HERE.

3 comments:

Sue Rostron said...

this is such a lovely tribute

Lynda Shoup said...

Loved seeing your process. The poppies are amazing. Seeing your step by step process made me realize how much I have to learn.

The way all the elements work together is noteworthy.

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

A fantastic page with ink spray Lynette and a wonderful tribute to Anzac 100 year anniversary, love the silhouette and the poppies.
Anni

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...