Sunday, June 9, 2019

Teaching : Faces, Image transfers and useful links

I taught my monthly art journal class this past week and the topic was Faces and Image Transfers. I wanted to make sure that there was something useful for everyone, even if they didn't want to do human faces. Only a 2-hour overview class  but we covered a lot, so I thought I'd share some of what we covered here with links to the blog posts I've done in the past on these techniques. 
1. Transfer with a photocopied image - place face down on your receiving paper and rub from the back with nail polish remover (acetone). Works on good watercolour paper - results not guaranteed on other papers (eg. wouldn't work in my recycled journal)
2. Transfer with an image from your printer at home. Apply gel medium (I use 3D gloss super heavy Reeves) and adhere image face down without bubbles. When dry rub paper off with wet finger – gently. Demo with home printer (colour) and photocopy (black and white) Both worked. Great free images available from Unsplash
I should have thought about covering the background more on the right but will be interesting to see what I can do with this. I look forward to sharing how these finish up in my journal
These are some examples of my students' work with this technique - they make me smile
3. Paint over collage : my blog post HERE
and Tam's original free lesson HERE
This is also in my journal - I figured if I put the samples in there they would be page starters! 
4. Proportions of a face - in this section we also talked about different pencils including Stabilo All pencil and Dina Wakley's technique as seen in this blog post
Included some info about other watersoluble pencils for portraits as seen HERE
and how fun using just a charcoal pencil and a blending stump can be 
I thought I would reference here my favourite face artists so you can explore them if not known to you. 
I love owning this book by Tamara Laporte
and I will be getting this when it's released in August
Check out her Youtube channel for free inspiration HERE and if you join her newsletter HERE you get a free course called Art, Heart and Healing 
and also alerts to classes that are offered for free for a limited time. This one is currently through her newsletter as a promotion for her Ever After course : 
Jane Davenport's style is very clearly laid out in her book 
and she has a new FREE class coming up 24 June : HERE.
Description of the course : Making Faces is a unique collection of Art Supplies from the mind of Jane Davenport! In this free workshop we celebrate the global launch of the collection, we have gathered all of Jane’s videos and info for each element of the collection in this one spot to make a valuable reference and resource! Not sure how much will be about face making, but gives you a taste of Jane as a teacher anyway.
My other favourite teacher, and the only one I'm doing online classes with this year, is Effy Wild. Check out her Youtube channel HERE
her Free workshop which includes a face HERE
Artists for love (speed painting)
and this contour drawing HERE
And last for your inspiration, check out this selection of free tutorials that include some faces by some great artists : A thing called love - includes lessons from Toni Burt, Cary Cutler Scholes and Angela Kennedy - all of whom I've shared elsewhere on this blog. This is Cary's lesson : 
16935702_10208671012587849_1595738626_o
I love sharing my joy of art journaling and mixed media. If you're local you can ask me to come and teach at your club/group. You'll find the posts about classes I've taught under the teaching link below.

5 comments:

  1. You certainly did get a lot done in your two hour session! It's great to see all the styles of faces you've done here in the one post. And the student transfers came out so well. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for the students to have such success. It was a great night

    ReplyDelete
  3. I great collection of resources all in one place! I remember of the magic when I first tried an image transfer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing. I am working on getting a projector at our Kapiti Art and Heart Journallers meetings. I want to show people your site and talk with them about getting you in as a tutor if you would be willing. Also can I post links to your blog on the group Facebook page?
    And finally, I am going to set up a FB page or group called Aotearoa Art Journallers so it's easy for new people to find others who love art journalling and tutors can post details there. Will send you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome. Yes I am happy for you to share links to my blog and I also have a FB artist page : https://www.facebook.com/LynetteNZAllOfMe/
    I am busy during the week but often available weekends and more flexible in school holidays since I work at a school. Look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks so much for contacting me ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...