Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Journal Jam 3 : Storm Rider

Effy Wild is sharing a weekly Journal Jam live session in The Wilderhood (her Canadian Monday afternoon, my NZ Tuesday morning). I create spreads I would never do on my own and it's great to be led if you're feeling uninspired. It is so fun to art together - I didn't manage the live this week because forgot that our daylight savings moved the time earlier for us. She is live 3pm EST Monday and that now makes it 7am our Tuesday. Effy draws prompts and shares how she works in response to those directly in her journal, and you can follow her lead or go in a totally different direction. So this week I've followed the replay and you can too if you like HEREHer finished spread is absolutely gorgeous :
It looks very Klimt-inspired and I adore it but will try to put my own spin on it. She began with the magazine image and black gessoed background so I'll do that too. I have 4 fashion magazines in my stash which I got from a second-hand book sale. The title of this magazine feature sealed the deal for me choosing this girl "Storm Rider". She appeared in the first magazine I flipped through. The words will appear somewhere on my spread. 
I also added clear gesso over my glossy magazine image because I think that I would like to alter her in some way too. Remember my doodle magazine girls? Now here we go with the prompts : 
Green Interference colours look great over black but when I looked I didn't have green so using an old iridescent. And Effy also added a different kind of green from Pebeo which I have and love so 2 greens to start. Photo a bit blurry for some reason : Jo Sonja's Green Iridescent and Pebeo 359 Iridescent Green Yellow
Cover something up Because I know I'm going Klimty with this one I'm using those paints again plus black gesso to add some circles and square with stencils. And I covered her hair with black gesso 
Fingerpaint I do have one interference colour : Violet. Love this effect but trying to restrain myself cos we're only 3 prompts in!
Add a feather Did a LOT on this. Not sure if it's where I want it to be but need to leave it now. 
Effy obeyed an impulse to add gold ink sprayed and fingerpainted but not a prompt so I'm waiting for the next.
Add squares of black paint Another cool stencil with black gesso
I am hoping for another colour prompt so I can do something with her garment and I already have some other ideas brewing for her....
Add gold or silver Yay - so much I can do with this. The silver is Micaceous Iron Oxide to grunge up her cloak.
Flip spread upside down Not today...Effy obeyed an impulse to add red to her spread before finishing with words
Some finishing touches with uniball signo gold pen and some more black lines in the feather.
Love the layers and that I am telling stories of my reality with art. 
Goodness - have just realised the unplanned connection with my Journal 52 card prompt yesterday : Storm
At the end of the prompts Effy demonstrates how she seals all her spreads with gloss varnish and a tealight candle to stop them sticking. That time on the replay is at 47 minutes if you want to watch that. 
See all my Journal Jam spreads with prompts and progress photos included HERE.

6 comments:

  1. I do love Effy's page and your interpretation of it! Storm Rider is such a cool title too! Thanks for the link to the video! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zsuzsa. One of my favourites - just love Klimt influence

      Delete
  2. Truly wonderful, Lynette! Starting with the magazine image really appeals, and you did a great job with this. I need to look up and understand "interference" paints. Whatever they are, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are cool. Work best on dark like black but I want to do more after this page

      Delete
  3. This is lovely. I am loving reading and seeing what you are doing. I have started Sue Spargo's stich a long stitching a tiny circle every day. That's a load of fun too .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - I want to hand stitch but can't seem to stop this playing with paint and paper. Sue Spargo is lovely. Glad you are having fun too

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...