Monday, September 2, 2024

August Review

August was a very busy month for me personally with seven birthdays, a trip to Wellington to watch the All Blacks and catch up with extended family, and at work our school library celebrated the NZ Children's Book Awards and our own library Book Week which included competitions, a school lit quiz and dress up day (I am the pirate)
I also gave a talk to a local quilt guild about my mixed media work which was a fun remembering of projects.  
As a result of all of that, there's not much to share, but I have managed to create cards and get some new supplies. I am very happy that I am still going with my weekly challenge, even though I had to catch up on doing 3 cards in a week this month! #52cards2024 : to create a card that reflects the past week (ending Sunday). I must include stitch, the colour turquoise and a word. 
These are my August cards. 
Note that the first three were made within a week (over half way through the month!) cos I was so busy. As a result the first 2 are very simple - Week 31 : Choose was a mounting of a tag I had already made and Week 32 : Exhale features a paper cutout from Ellen Giggenbach (a Wellington artist I love). Week 33 : Inspire was in turn inspired by the birthday card I made for my friend below, and my beautiful magnolia tree in full flower. Week 34 was actually created in the correct week and features one of my new art foamies that arrived. And Week 35 (last week) included Daffodil day - today is following through with the promise of Spring weather. I share these cards as they are created on my Facebook Artist's page and Instagram.
Last month's tutor in Fodder School 3 was Alison Bomber and while I didn't want to create houses this month, I did enjoy her lesson on backgrounds : 
These master sheet backgrounds will be very useful for another set of all occasion cards. I have managed this one so far for my friend's birthday - and you can probably see its influence on my Inspire card above
And this pair were for my niece and her daughter using some leftover backgrounds and previously created fodder.
I did a bit of thinking over August and have decided to not continue with Fodder School 4. One of the reasons is that while working full time it is a big commitment every month and when other things come up, like Junk Journal July for example, I just don't feel like I can do that as well. 
You can do anything...but you can't do everything!
One idea I'm excited about is that if I have nothing else on in a month I could go and do a previous lesson from Fodder School 1,2 or 3. Life-time access is wonderful. 
I did get some new supplies this month. When we were in Wellington, I had to go to Petone and buy some beautiful paper cut outs and washi tape from Ellen Giggenbach's shop (see one in Week 32 card above). I need more of her washi but this was the only design left in store that week
I was gifted money for both my birthday and my mixed media talk so I purchased stencils and art foamies stamps from America - designs from Megan Quinlan. Unfortunately the exchange rate and postage are both terrible so I think this will be my last such purchase for a while.
Plenty here to keep me entertained and excited to get back into art journaling. I was also gifted this amazing large stamp from a friend - hardly used as you can see. I am going to have such fun using it. 
Fav free inspiration this month is Angela Kennedy - a friend alerted me to her free online tutorial about paper dolls - worth a look for a different way to do faces
and she also has a curated free Facebook page called Ephemera for Artists - lots of wonderful imagery for your art journaling. 
I'm sure you've heard that Tam from Willowing has retired her collaborative year-long Life Book offering, but in its place is A Year of Light. She has a free taster event in September so here's the link for that in case you missed it. Runs 16-24 September. Might see you there...
September is our Spring month so I'm looking forward to extended daylight hours and more of a chance to get into my studio, as well as a couple of weekend breaks away with girlfriends to Raumati and Otaki - both to include lots of laughter, stories, walks on the beach and creativity. I've just realised this post has been quite full of creativity after feeling like I didn't have much to share. That's why I love to do these review posts 💜 Chat soon friends.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of activity for you, nice cards and love the goddies you shared with the quilters. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...