Thursday, July 13, 2023

Junk Journal July : Part 1

I had no intention of participating in this Junk Journal July 2023 challenge, but something made me do it! I was inspired by the small accordian format plus I knew I was going to be away for a couple of weekends in July and wanted to take a wee kit with me so I could create if I wanted. First I created my "junk journal" from scrap papers - it measures 15cm high x 12 cm wide for no other reason than because I had some old board covers that were that measurement. 
I glued and machine stitched pieces of paper and tags together. And I printed the list of prompts out so I can cut and include them on each page
Then I gathered 2 x A4 plastic envelopes and popped papers in one and focals in another - included a couple of old magazines (good paper for collage), a Tim Holtz word sticker pad and a large pencil case for pens, glue stick, scissors, and a new set of watercolour pencils. I did sneak in 2 fav paint tubes and a cosmetic wedge as well cos you never know! It all fits in a small recycled bag to travel.
These first few prompts I hadn't watched anyone else for inspiration.
I am always challenged by leaving some negative space untouched. Lucky for me the word July was on this page, and I used a mask to reveal some other spaces. Since I'm in an accordian journal, it's fun to run prompts across the usual boundaries of the pages.
The next tickets and tags prompt led me back to what I learned in wonderful Fodder School classes with Liz Constable
For Prompt 5 : Fold out I remembered an origami envelope by Helen Colebrook. Get the instructions here. Here alongside Prompt 6 : Layers on layers
Fun to play with the extra tag insert - meant I could have balance across 2 pages. The next prompt of stripped back was a challenge for me - decided to go as simple as I was able with strips of paper. 
Prompt 11 was a perfect chance to play again with the idea of snippet rolls
I've got myself into a rhythm with this challenge so decided to post after these first 11 prompts. Loving how this journal is looking.
Hopefully there'll be 2 more postings to share (let's see how it goes once school hols is over and I start my new job!). See the playlist of prompts and demos on youtube here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, your journal is just so rich with color and detail! It's looking wonderful. And it's so portable with your preparations for travel. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...