Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Journal 52 : Week 11

Journal 52 is a weekly prompt from Effy Wild (Free HEREthat I'm creating on a deck of jumbo playing cards 3.5'' x 4.75'' (8.5 x 12 cm)Each card will include stitch, a found word, and be inspired by the project I've been working on that week or what's lying leftover on my work table. See the original post HERE.
#11 : Dream. Inspired by what's on my worktable this week I gessoed a playing card and created the base alongside my March book papers
Inspired by new supplies....The wood blocks of the Piwakawaka/Fantail and the Huia (now sadly extinct) were recent purchases from Tatter Tales in Waipawa. 
My friend picked them up for me after I saw them online and I am very much hoping we can take a trip to Napier in the future so that I can make a stop off on the way and be tempted by other lovely things in person! Although these are made for printing on fabric, I thought I'd see if they would work on tissue so the Huia could become a part of my Dream card. Staz-On ink pad did not work (faint impression on the left below) and the Golden transparent paint didn't show up well but the black ink worked great. I printed with the tissue on top of an old mouse pad to ensure best contact and will refine with colour when glued to my card. I clearly need to find time to experiment more with inks and paint... 
If you use a paintbrush just wet with water, you can outline the stamped shape and tear it quite close. Then apply your gel medium to your substrate (in this case the card) NOT the tissue. Keep the glue brush by your hand without rinsing, lay your tissue down in one motion on your glued background, then use the glue remaining on your brush to gently smooth the image out from the centre to get good contact and no bubbles. Don't go over too much or your tissue will tear. 
Takes a bit of experimenting to get the right amount of gel medium/glue (not too little, not too much) but it's worth it when you perfect this technique and I use it often. Love how the tissue paper blends into the background so you can still see the layer beneath. Click on any photo to see it larger. This is the finished card for Week 11. 
 Find all my Journal 52 posts HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...