Tuesday, January 16, 2024

New Zealand Quilt

I don't make very many quilts now, but I had to make one for my sister-in-law who turned 60 this month. The theme is beautiful New Zealand with our gorgeous plants and birds. I made applique blocks by various designers including Jacqui Karl, Amiee's Homestead Quilts, The Cloth Shop and myself. This is what I gifted her over the weekend
I fused the pieces to the backgrounds, and then quilted and appliqued all in one pass of free-motion stitching. Here's each block closer up. Each has special meaning and I can't pick a favourite.
Pohutukawa = NZ's Christmas tree and a favourite of Sandy's
Clouds
Pikorua = a powerful symbol for loyalty, friendship and love, signifying the strength and beauty of enduring friendships
Mountains to the sea 
Kowhai = NZ's national flower 
Sheep = they are now living on a lifestyle block
Kapiti Island = view from their previous home 
Piwakawaka = Fantail, my favourite NZ bird 
Cats = she has 2 
Harakeke = NZ flax  
Every stitch made with love. And a handmade card of course. 

4 comments:

  1. Stunningly beautiful, Lynette! I know she will treasure it, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post? Your quilt is just beautiful and so meaningful. I'm sure it will be a treasured heirloom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...