Saturday, January 4, 2020

Guardian Angel for 2020

Haven't been in my art journal since November! I'd been enjoying creating without guidance from lessons, but when you have an opportunity for a free lesson from Tam, you've just got to take it... 
This lesson was first published as part of ‘Life Book 2019’ but is now available as a ‘standalone’/ ‘self study’ class (I got it Free as seen HERE)
I started experimenting with watercolours  and absorbent ground in my mermaid spread. I liked the whimsy of that page but my preferred colours are much more vibrant. I decided to have a go using the ground again but this time layering with my more colourful watercolour markers
Here's the spread prepared with a layer of absorbant ground. You can also see my container of watercolour pens/pencils - including Tombows, Letraset Aquamarkers, and derwent inktense pencils. I decided to turn my page to get a longer portrait view this time. The lesson includes an outline to trace for hand position and I made some alterations to her face shape and features
By the end of November I had just begun to add colour to her face
Now it's time to turn her into an art angel for 2020. A fresh photo to start. 
First steps. 
Loving how she's looking so far - tender and loving. I've mostly used tombows with a waterbrush and Polychromos coloured pencil (Red-Violet) for shading. When I turned to her clothes I decided to go with Green - the Heart Chakra - for love and healing, balance, tranquility, and serenity. Wanting brightness, so beginning with bright tombows, some twinkling H2Os and Koh-i-noor watercolour dyes. 
Trying to use Tam's technique of wet on wet technique for a puddly effect - this was pretty successful. Best with adding more water and wet brush. I love the creaminess of the twinkling H2Os and did the base of her hair with another colour.
Background with Koh-i-noor watercolour dyes again. And loving the twinkling in the skirt so added some spots of H2O colour over the first layer in the background. These close-ups hopefully show you the shine better. You can click on any photo to open it larger for more detail.
I am already planning she will have some kind of halo so leaving that space free, and happy with this for her hair to start.
I love using stencils in my work. You'd be hard pressed to find many pages in my art journal without them! 
I'm thinking the lovely clam shell stencil (it says Artist Cellar - maybe purchased from a stall of Fabric by Three?) will be great for her wings. I purchased the lovely mandala stencil from KMart ($3 set of 3! initially picked cos of the gorgeous tapa) - plus the border stencils were also $3 for 3! In the past week - worth a look if you live local.
A touch of tombow to outline areas of her dress and then the first acrylic paint to touch the page = white heavy body for the wing base. I like how it blends a little with the dye at the ends of the wings. Happy accident. Then to add the gold scallops for the wings and that led me straight to the mandala additions. My gold of choice is the Pebeo Iridescent and refinements with the Sakura Gelly Roll pen. 
Note the words that I found revealed in the background - magic messages
I want to SHINE with INTENTION this year, and be Brave this month. But when I went to choose my letter stamps, I found one of my hand-carved stamps which seemed more perfect. Stamped with permanent ink on green tissue. 
The old mouse pad ensures a good print and then I can tear the tissue and place where I like on the angel. As I was trying positions I realised I could add one of my favourite symbols. Sometimes the hardest part isn't deciding which serviette, but separating the layers!
A few final touches and she's done
I adore acrylics and will never leave them for watercolours, but I did enjoy how this came together in more vibrant watercolour and especially love the face blending so may do that again. Definitely will use that Absorbant ground again. She is everything I need for a Guardian Angel in 2020 ♥

2 comments:

  1. She is just lovely! I'm so glad to know about the watercolor ground product. I bought some (for some project awhile back) but never used it. Have always wanted to know more. Thanks. And now some Stitch Meditations in your future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - see my next blog post for how those might appear. VERY inspired thank you ♥

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...