Sunday, December 1, 2019

December Daily 2019

I'm always keen on the idea of December daily journals but they are a challenge to do at this busy time. This year I was inspired Kasia's FREE Advent calendar journaling event : 24 days of art journaling with prompts, exploring mindfulness, self-care and gifts of the season. Sign up HERE until 5th December. I thought about how I could manage this in a small and creative way and this is my set-up.
She suggested we follow a limited colour palette - adjacent on the colour wheel, plus one contrast and black and white of course. For me - it had to include metallic ♥ As I started to gather I was really drawn to black and white and silver with some pink and tiny bit of pale green! It's an unusual colour palette for me so am excited to see where it takes me. My initial gatherings all fit in the plastic container but contain a LOT of inspiration. I may not use all of it - I may add other things depending on the prompts... this is my starting point to get the creative juices flowing....I am very excited and inspired at this point.
From my experience with my Klimt in the Garden with Rumi art cards, it's really nice to have common elements in a series. Therefore as well as my limited colour palette, each of my pages will include both hand and machine stitching, sari ribbon, stencils and washi tape.
Then there's the size of the pages - I wanted to create SMALL separate pages so I can stand a chance of doing this regularly (daily will not be realistic for a while though), include stitch and then put them together into a book form at the end. The options I considered were : 
1. tags (to be later stitched together like this)
2. working on individual pages and then mounting on concertina style background
3. work on folded 2-page spread but only one one side and then glue them together at the finish
I had a lovely old hard-cover book which I gutted (keeping the pages for lovely text in future project) and then I cut cheap watercolour paper to fit inside. I purchased the paper when I was very new to art journaling and it has sat in my cupboard for a while. Perfect for this project cos I know I can stitch through it and it will be a nice surface for the metallic paints.
Each half measures 4.5" x 6.5". The cover will need some altering as well which I love
Hopefully I can share some completed pages next weekend. Do share if you join this project too. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you are soooo ready! I love the color palette you've chosen. I'm mentally ready, but have not set myself up as you have yet. I'm taking another online class with Kasia and crew- Mixed Media Journaling, so have been enjoying that during November. Have fun! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour palette is unexpected for me - excited to see what happens ♥

      Delete
  2. So excited to see your pages, Lynette! I guess it makes sense for you to work on loose pages if you're including stitching as well. I'm running late already as I didn't have much time today - we've put up our Christmas lights and then needed some shopping done - and now suddenly it's dinner time. But it's ok I can catch up tomorrow! I'm using gold gilding this year to make it look a bit Christmassy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And because I'm a day ahead in time zone I'm always going to be behind when I see the prompts! No show of doing any this week but I'll try and catch up and share on the weekend

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...