Saturday, March 30, 2019

Book of Days : March

Book of Days 2019 is being taught as a collaborative this year. This month, all our teachers presented a take on expressive portraits. We got lessons from Effy, Marieke Blokland and Sal Sheibe
This month I decided I would watch ALL the lessons and then do just one spread inspired by what I'd seen. Not sure if it's our changing of season to Autumn, or my change of season (aka menopause!) but my energy is very low at the moment....so this post goes to show that 10 minutes every day still = progress.
DAY 1 A couple of the lessons incorporated 2 faces so I began with spray inks blended with white gesso and brushed large ovals where I think the faces will be
DAY 2 Sketched my faces on with a watersoluble stabilo all pencil and blended out with a little water.
DAY 3 Including a paper serviette - was gifted this beauty and thought I would use more of it around the spread, but in the end she only wanted this wee piece with the bird whispering to her
DAY 4 Found words - I adore when they are found serendipitously in the background. They didn't appear until I went looking. Click on the photo to see larger : the light - the wood - the field - Go - she knew
DAY 5 A favourite pink washi tape - does well as a garment and a background layer
DAY 6 Always love stenciling - adding a bit more depth of colour as well as pattern. Also purple faber-castell pen for lips and eyes
DAY 7 Time for hair - I wanted to glaze so added some white posca paint pen curls and also for some subtle highlights on their faces. 
Didn't leave the paint pen to dry properly so when I added the glaze it kind of blurred but a few more highlights of purple and I'm happy enough with this effect. 
This is micro-movements in play : a little bit every day equals a completed spread in a week ♥ I felt like leaving the faces mostly untouched this time. This was an expressive self-portrait and it feels authentic - from the heart. Working on the spread forced me to slow down - go gently, and has reminded me to look inward and listen to my own truth. 
You can still join us in Book of Days HERE

2 comments:

  1. A lovely post! Your faces are beautiful. And it's fun to watch the progression of your work through the week, day by day. It's actually a nice way to work now that you mention it. Each stage can be accomplished in a small amount of time, each is intentional, and the result is wonderful. At last, I'm working on my Magazine Makeover pieces. Will post some soon. You're right- it is great fun and so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nancy - very satisfying to work this way. Can't wait to see your magazine makeovers :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. I will always respond to you so check back here in a couple of days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...